Friday, January 11, 2008

2008 REMIX - God What Are You Expecting Me To Do?

I compare reflections of 2007 to that of the “Critic’s Corner.” Some say awesome and others, like me, kicked 2007 out the door with both feet. As I listened to Bishop Clark preach the New Year’s Eve service here is one of the comments that still exists in my mind, “Just like 2007 wasn’t all bad, 2008 is not going to be all good.” This statement reminds us of our tendency to say that we can’t wait for the new year as if previous one had no goodness in it. Very often we go into a new year thinking positive with much expectation and then we sing a different tune come year’s end.

Well, first let me say amen to this. I am grateful that I lived through 2007. I am grateful for my family and friends. I am grateful for the lessons learned. In the midst of my understanding and gratitude I am also grateful to God for both endings and new beginnings. As I reflect over 2007 what comes to mind for me is that the “Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.” I’ll be the first to admit that this was a hard pill for me to swallow. But all things work for his glory. I can firmly say that there were some tough lessons learned, there was some not so good harvest that finally bore fruit but…I never lost my faith. Any time the devil is that busy, you know God has something in store for you. Last year’s theme for our church was Faith and Focus. It wasn’t until 2008 that I realized that despite the valleys of 2007 I was actually living that message. Through it all, the good and the bad, I kept talking to God telling him I was going to come out of this storm sooner or later. What was my focus? Navigating through the storm with faith.

It’s still early in 2008. I still haven’t touched my blessing, I still haven’t seen my blessing but every message I receive tells me it is on the horizon. I am standing on and believing in his Word!!! As you are reading this you might be asking yourself, okay, but what about the title? Over the last few years I have gone into each year with expectation. I start my year giving thanks, giving praise, and telling God what I am expecting. This year my spirit has been led to hold a different posture. It’s as if God is saying I hear you, I know your expectations but what are YOU going to do this year to bring those expectations to reality. You’ve come to me these past years with expectations that have been met miraculously and with acceleration. Now, are you really ready for the next level?

Initially, off course, I really was not trying to hear or receive this message. Yet, every where I turned it was right there. From Bishop’s focus in 2008 to be “Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise”, to our revival sermons, to what I hear on the radio, what I read, etc… I just can’t seem to get away from this message. Last Sunday we had a guest evangelist at our evening service. She preached about the power in our hands. She repeatedly asked us to look at our hands. She reminded us that all power lies in God’s hands. She also reminded us that God has given us the power in our hands to do what we need to do. “Tell your hands to work for you,” she told us. I received that. My creativity is in my hands. I write, I edit, I produce with my hands. I have been led to write the gratitude train, this blog, I journal, I am creating a website for my daughter…and the flood gates opened up.

Two years ago my hands were anointed and I didn’t fully understand and appreciate the significance. Yes, I am still full of expectation but the picture is much bigger than me. It’s even bigger than what I am expecting God to do for me. There is ministry in my hands. There is a work I must do not only to bring light to my expectations but those of others.

Now, I pass this message on to you. Take a good look at your hands. As the evangelist stated, “Tell your hands to work for you.”

Sing “2008 – REMIX”

I ask again, “God what are you expecting US to do?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Click here to post your comment.